Something In The Air

Tuesday, October 8, 2013



Well Friends, here is another post from days gone bye. Looking through some old stuff the other day, I really loved this. I wrote this when Brewer was a baby and I was starting to see life in a whole new light. My focus was changing from "how does it affect me" to "how does this affect him." It was a really sweet time in my life. I was so excited about seeing life from his eyes and reliving all the magic.  I love remembering sweet times with him.
 
So in honor of the first day that feels like Fall ... Here ya go!
 

 

September 26, 2008 at 11:46am
 

Nostalgia:

 a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time

There is always something in the air at the changing of the seasons, something so tangible that I can not run from. It engulfs every one of my senses and before I notice I am suffocating in the sweet smell of days gone by. Childhood memories of fall festivals, my sister and I dressing for Halloween, thanksgiving football on my grandparents farm, hundreds of cousins I never believed I would have lost touch with, the smell of traditional Christmas baking, ... the cookies, the candies, the cakes... and of course, the "good stuff" (a family tradition no one will understand) With all those memories creeps in a sigh for lost loves and lost friends... Life changes so quickly before you even realize the hour has passed and another chapter has closed.

As a new chapter has opened in my life this year I am all aglow with the thought of new memories to make, new traditions to form, new smells twisting with the old ones creating a fragrance so strong I can almost taste it. While I love my life, my memories, my sad stories and happy endings... I am so thrilled to live life "again" through my child's eyes. A rebirth of all those emotions flood over my soul as I dream of all things that He could be. The people he will meet and the places he will go. What effect will he have on all of those.. what will his memories be?

This year as nostalgia hit me like a freight train and those memories engrossed my very being, I was surprised to see things from a different point of view. It's been odd looking back over my life and seeing things I had never seen before... from a parent's perspective. WOW... how hard it must have been for my parents. How do you watch your child make mistakes, moreover, how do you have the courage to let your children make mistakes? Hum.. something I am not excited to learn...

I look over at my son, almost 4 months old and sitting in his bouncy chair looking off into the distance with, I have no idea how, but his entire hand in his mouth I laugh out loud. His hands drop and a huge smile comes over his face as he realizes he has his mother's full attention. I have to go... I don't want to miss one more minute of his life.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground