Go Deeper: Get Dirty

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

If you are a Christian living in America, you have no doubt heard the song, "Oceans" by Hillsong United. Just in case you've been living under a rock ...




Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Those are not just words. That is a prayer. And it's not an easy one. It's one with purpose and power. When you pray that prayer, you better buckle up because something is coming. And you may not like it.
 
Six days ago I wrote Commissioned Moments for the She Reads Truth linkup. I asked you to pray with me that God would give me a commissioned moment. I asked that you would pray with me for God to move and speak. Maybe not in so many words, but that's what I wanted. I wanted to hear from God more than anything. And friends, I'm here to testify that He spoke. And He spoke clearly. And it was loving, as He's always loving, but harsh.
 
 

I do not like the beach. I know that I just lost half of you and I'm ok with that. I like the idea of the beach. I get excited about going but when it gets right down to it, I hate the actual being on the beach part.

For starters, it's hot and the wind is always blowing in my face and I have to put on sunscreen, which is greasy, and sand sticks to EVERYTHING. Then you get in the water and there are all sorts of creatures you have to look out for or you'll die. You have to watch the waves or they'll knock you down. The water is either really cold or really hot. And you're never quite sure what just brushed against your leg. You have to watch were you step. Its just really uncomfortable and gross.

So this past weekend when I went to the beach to the Women of Joy conference, I was excited but dreaded the beach part. Long story short, the conference was great! I met new friends, was a part of amazing worship, heard beautiful speakers and ate fantastic foods! Plus, there was a Starbucks across the street from my hotel! SCORE! On Saturday when all my friends went to the beach, I stayed in the room and begged God to speak to me. I got on my mat, I worshiped. He was silent. I was frustrated. And tired.

Sunday morning I woke up early, grabbed some coffee and went to the beach. Not the real beach, more like to the pool deck that's right over the beach. That way I could sit in the chairs and relax while watching the sun come up and hear the waves and be a part of Gods beautiful creation. I sat down and got comfortable. The sunrise was to my left. So I was not directly facing the sun but I could see it. The water was quiet and I was the only one up.

I moved out of the shade and took a picture of the most beautiful sunrise. And after waiting all weekend ... He spoke.

So Annie, is this how it's going to be? You have for months sang, prayed and begged me at the top of your lungs to ... what is it ... "take you deeper?" You want to build your trust and build your faith and go where I can lead you? Then why are you sitting here on the deck ... resting in the shade behind a tree. Get up Annie and step into the sun. Feel the warmth on your skin. Take off your shoes and walk out into the sand. Let it squish between your toes. Walk out into the water and feel my power there.

Annie, I love your passion. I created you to be passionate. But if you want trust without borders, you want to follow where I'm leading, it's going to be messy. You have been hiding in the shade so you don't get burned by the sun. You wont step onto the beach because its dirty. Listen, I'm giving you opportunities to be a part of kingdom work. You want it? I'll trust you with it, but it's going to be messy. You're going to have to be willing to get dirty. Can you do that?

So Friends, I found that song last summer, the week it came out. And God didn't waste any time. Me and God, we've been working. For almost a year now, God has been working on my need for control and my fear. He is burning off things that bind so I'm free. In my freedom I'm able to get messy and work for the kingdom. Pray for me Friends. I want to walk totally surrendered to His calling. I want to go where He leads. And I want to do it boldly and with humility. I want for people to hear my story and see His power at work. I want you to know the healing power of God. So thank you for your prayers this weekend. They were honored.

He's good Friends! You can trust Him. I want to hear your stories too. What is God working out in your life? What can I pray with you through?



 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground