Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

 
Friends! I've said before that Fall is my most favorite time of year. I love when the weather starts to get cool. It means so many things to me. I get so excited about football, bonfires, hoodies and hot chocolate! This year has been a challenge.
 
On our search for health, we've been eating a lot of raw and vegan recipes. Pinterest, as most of you already know, is a wealth of information. We've tried lots of things. Some are amazing! Some were not worth the hype. Summer was easier because we already eat fruit and juice and salads. The Fall brings me into comfort foods. Hum ... Raw ... Vegan ... comfort food. Doesn't seem like they go together. Boy was I wrong!
 
I was planning a dinner at my home for eight friends. Dinner was easy but I wanted desert. I wanted something traditional. I wanted something good. I wanted something that said, no screamed, "IT"S FALL Y'ALL!" And boy did I find it!
 
I cant claim this recipe as my own. (Mostly because I'm not that smart) But here is the link to the orginal. Side Note: Her blog has been amazing. So many yummy things.
 
I've made Pumpkin Pie before, but never from scratch. And by scratch I mean from a real pumpkin. New information alert: What! Pumpkin puree doesn't just come from a can? Another Side note: neither does Cranberry Sauce. And I have a great story from the first Thanksgiving I spend with my husband. If you're lucky I'll blog about it closer to Thanksgiving.
 
Back to my pie. The recipe was easy (other than gutting a pumpkin) It's full of wonderful things and the end product was totally worth all the work. I will be making this again. And as you know, you cant have pumpkin pie without whipped cream. I made some from coconut milk and vanilla with a little honey. It didn't whip as well as I had hoped, but I'll prefect that I'm sure. It was kinda ugly so I didn't post a picture, but it did taste fantastic.
 
 
I also, at the request of my son, cleaned & dried the pumpkin seeds. We covered them in maple syrup, salt and EVOO. We roasted them for about 30 minutes and they turned out great! See, no waste. Thanksgiving here we come!
 
What's your favorite Fall Comfort Food?
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground