Vegan Chili and Halloween

Friday, November 1, 2013

 
Family traditions are the best, right! We have a family tradition that I look forward to every year. I'm not really into Halloween. I don't really care for all the candy or the scary dark side. But I am all about my kids making memories and having fun. I'll take any reason for my family getting together and making memories.
 
When Brewer was born, we invited all the family over and I made chili, the parents took the kids Trick or Treating and the grandparents stayed at the house to hand out candy. When we get back, begins the "trading of the candy." If you have kids, you know this process. Everyone dumps out their candy for parents to look through but the kids start trading what they like and what they don't like. Someone runs away with all the gum, the youngest kid ends up with all the sugar free and pencils and someone starts crying. Woo Hoo for Halloween!
 
This year was no different ... or was it? Well, not really the only thing different was the chili. Moving towards a more vegan life is hard. I've said that before. But it is also fun and exciting. I have been playing around with chili for about a month looking for something that will work and I think I found it last night! I wanted something that was sweet and full of veggies. I had to have something with a meaty flavor to hide the fact there was no meat. Mushrooms were the way to go. I chopped all the veggies kinda chunky sized. Unless they were lying to me, it was a huge hit! I'm not really sure of the amount of things because I just kinda threw it in, but here is what went in the pot.
 
Vegan Mushroom Chili:
 
I didn't really measure anything I just sprinkled it in until it looked like enough. (Sorry for you Type A people.)
 
In a pot on medium: 1 can Crushed Tomatoes, 1 can Tomato Paste, 1 can Black Beans, 1 can Red Kidney Beans, 1 can White Kidney Beans, Chili Powder, Dried Oregano, Cilantro, Cumin, 2 T Honey, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Vegetable Broth (about 3 to 4 cups. depends on how soupy you want your chili)
 
Chop all the veggies below to your desired size. I liked mine a little chunky so it didn't get lost and its more like chili and less like soup. But make it your own.
 
In a pan on medium sauté: EVOO, Mini Portobello Mushrooms, 1 Onion, 1 Red Pepper, 1 Green Pepper, light Sea Salt & Pepper. When the veggies are still a little crisp add several cloves of garlic. (I don't think you can add too much, so use as much to your taste) Sauté for another minute or two then add to the chili pot!
 
Once everything is in the pot, turn up to high until it starts to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn down to simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes and its ready to go! The longer it simmers and the flavors come together, the better it is. So simmer as long as you want.
 
Side Note: You could put this all in the crock pot and let it sit on low. I did this earlier this month and it was fantastic. However I would recommend sautéing the veggies first because the peppers were still a little crunchy. But its up to what you like.
 
I served this with tortilla chips and some red pepper hummus. SOOOO GOOD!
Hope you enjoy!


Happy Halloween Friends! Bring on Thanksgiving. We got this!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground